09/12/2010

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet

I absolutely loved this book! I really could not put it down. The characters are so vivid and realistic. The story takes place in 12th century England during the Anarchy and it is an amazing portrayal of the relationship or lack thereof between the Church and the state. The plot is enriched with accounts of injustice, hope, love, infatuation, and cold-hearted characters who believe that the end justifies the means. I developed an appreciation for cathedrals through Tom Builder and Jack's love and obsession for building them. From the moment I opened the book, I completely lost myself in the story, holding my breath as towns were attacked, crying when innocent people were killed, feeling a sense of victory when true love prevailed...This was a great book that I will keep on my favourites list ;)

3 comentários:

Unknown disse...

Olá Di,
Adorei o teu comentário, tenho este livro, que em Portugal está dividido em dois volumes na estante a aguardar a leitura. Ainda não sei se será em 2011 :)
Beijinhos

Filipa disse...

Since a read this book I recomended to some friends. Everybody loved it!
Now you have to read the sequel: "world whithout end".

Di disse...

This would be a great book to kick off the New Year with ;)

Now I am beginning the sequel. Did you read it Filipa? And was it just as good as Pillars of the Earth? I don't usually run into very good sequels :( But I have a feeling Ken Follet will not disappoint...