26/08/2011

Little Bee by Chris Cleave

Sarah Summers and her husband decide to go on a much needed vacation and they end up choosing Nigeria as their destination. They meet Little Bee and her sister on a Nigerian Beach and all four of them become part of a horrifying scene that will continue to haunt them afterwards. I don't want to reveal the entire plot to you so I'll just say that these characters' paths end up crossing again. Little Bee's journey is one of great hardships, courage and hope. I loved the way Chris Cleave played with language in this book. The metaphors and similes Little Bee uses to describe and explain things are so unique and vivid that 'listening' to her was an absolute pleasure. Although the book at times contains such sadness and injustice and desperation...I would conclude that this is a book of hope. Even though the book's subject matter is quite political, this is not a book about politics, it is a book about people and the human spirit. I could not put this book down. When I tried to put the book down, I felt like I was betraying Little Bee. I needed to keep reading Little Bee's story, because I needed to find some hope and peace after she had been through so much in her life. This book was not an easy read, as it will really tug and pull at your heart and emotions; however, it was a fantastic book and I would definitely recommend it.

0 comentários: